GW hosts job fair for D.C. residents

Knapp and Gray
Photo courtesy of GWU Photography

The University hosted a job fair for District residents Wednesday in an effort to strengthen ties with the broader D.C. community.

Alumnus and Mayor Vincent Gray and University President Steven Knapp met residents and recruiters at the event, which drew over 1,500 local job seekers.

“It’s important that we’re part of our community in D.C.,” Knapp said.

Knapp offered to host the event last December in tandem with Gray’s efforts to decrease joblessness in the District.

GW ‘s relationship with the surrounding city community – particularly Foggy Bottom – has historically been strained, as the University’s development plans mushroomed the Foggy Bottom Campus across the neighborhood during former University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg’s tenure. Locals often criticize the school for allegedly not factoring nearby residents into the equation while considering University projects. Offering jobs to locals creates tangible benefits the University is able to tout when seeking neighborhood approval.

In December, Knapp and School of Business Dean Doug Guthrie joined a D.C.-wide job creation summit held by the mayor’s office, where the pair discussed how GW can both generate jobs and prepare students entering the job market. Knapp announced at the event that GW would look into hosting a job symposium as well.

The event was held in conjunction with the D.C. Department of Employment Services and the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area, which includes nine D.C.-area universities.

“They account for approximately 68,117 full- and part-time jobs with $3 billion in total payroll expenditures,” University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said of local universities, which serve as major employers throughout the area.

The University hopes to fill more than 100 vacant posts including information technology, general service and administrative positions, Sherrard said.

“A lot of people are here looking for opportunities,” Knapp said over the din in the Marvin Center ballroom. “They’re very grateful that we’re doing this.”