Alumna critically injured after hit-and-run

Updated June 27, 2:40 p.m.

Alumna Salem Amanuel, 23, sustained serious head injuries and remains in critical condition after a hit-and-run accident Saturday in Roxbury, Mass.

Amanuel is in a medically-induced coma after being struck by an unidentified driver at around 3 a.m. Her sisters, Helen and Azzy Amanuel, made an emotional plea for the driver to come forward during a press conference at Boston Police headquarters Wednesday.

No progress toward an arrest has been made, a spokesman from the police department said Monday afternoon.

Police continue to seek information that will lead to the operator of a gray or silver Chevy Impala that was photographed leaving the scene of the crash. The driver was a light-skinned African-American male, Boston Police Department Sgt. Marcus Eddings said.

Born in a Sudanese refugee camp and raised in Cambridge where she is currently living, she aspires to attend Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts news outlets reported. She was set to begin working at Children’s Hospital Boston two days after the accident.

Amanuel graduated from the Elliott School of International Affairs in 2010.

While at GW, Amanuel was an active member of the Black Student Union and the Organization of African Students. She also volunteered at Francis Steven’s Education Center for the Office of Community Service and Student Judiciary Services.

Director of Multicultural Student Services Michael Tapscott said Amanuel frequently served as a peer mentor and was a common sight in the MCSS office.

“Salem was a constant presence here her senior year, often studying in the lounge and stopping in frequently. She is a student that we treasure. She always lit up the room with her smile and energy,” Tapscott said.