Details emerge about City Hall death

The student found dead in his City Hall room Wednesday is 20-year-old Ismail Ginwala, according to police documents.

Ginwala, a junior, was discovered after a witness – unnamed in police documents – had not heard from Ginwala for “a couple of days,” according Metropolitan Police Department documents. The witness found an unresponsive Ginwala at 1:40 p.m. Wednesday.

Police documents label the death a suicide.

Friends of Ginwala said his family is on campus and speaking with those who knew the junior.

The University has not announced details for a memorial service as of Friday afternoon and has continually declined to release information about the student.

Ginwala was the policy director for the GW Roosevelt Institute, an activist group that pushes for a progressive approach to U.S. foreign policy. He also penned a blog post about Hillary Clinton for The GW Blue Line, a College Democrats’ publication, in 2008. He is from Corona, Calif. and attended Santiago High School.

“I am deeply saddened to report that the university has been notified of the death of one of our students. The student was found in his room this afternoon at the City Hall residence hall,” University President Steven Knapp said Wednesday. “On behalf of the entire university community, I would like to express our sorrow and extend my condolences to the student’s family and friends.”

Members of the community may contact the University Counseling Center at 202-994-5300.