Obama administration officials, D.C. leaders to help close MLK Day of Service

Obama administration officials and D.C. representatives will be on hand Monday to help volunteers from the University close a day of sprucing up five schools in Ward 8, according to a University news release.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, White House Director of Domestic Policy Melody Barnes, D.C. Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton  and Ward 8 Council member and former D.C. mayor Marion Barry are expected to speak at Ballou Senior High School to end the MLK Day of Service.

University President Steven Knapp and Ballou’s principal Rahman Branch will also speak at the afternoon ceremony.

More than 500 volunteers from GW will work at the high school along with Ballou Stay School, MC Terrell/McGogney Elementary School, Stanton Elementary School and Moten at Wilkinson Elementary School as part of the annual MLK Day of Service.

These schools are located in a part of the District that sees the highest rate of poverty, of children in poverty and highest unemployment rate in the city, according to GW’s news release.

Volunteers will partner with local organization Guerilla Arts Ink to paint murals, design word art, paint walls, clean and organize rooms, as well as perform yard work.

The day of service in honor of civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is sponsored each year by GW’s Office of Community Service and the Multicultural Student Services Center.