SGA Senate adds two positions to executive cabinet
By Molly St. Clair, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024
Officials to begin HVAC, roof repairs this weekend
By Jenna Lee, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024

Howard Dean, Liz Cheney to headline co-sponsored CD, CR event

Former DNC Chair and presidential hopeful Howard Dean and prominent conservative activist Liz Cheney will square-off during a wide-ranging discussion of current affairs and politics Feb. 1. in Lisner Auditorium.

After receiving $40,000 from the Student Association in November – the largest single co-sponsorship allocated last year – the College Democrats and College Republicans chose the two speakers based on their political experience and their ability to speak their minds.

“We wanted people who have been known to be very blunt, almost confrontational,” said CR president Jake Wolf.

Dean, who ran an unsuccessful campaign for president in 2004, and Cheney, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, came as a package for $40,000.

Aside from the SA allocation, each organization expects to put forth about $1,000 to cover costs for the location, a post-debate reception and other expenses. Tickets for the event will be free and each organization will be allotted a certain number of tickets to be distributed at a later undetermined date.

“We’re really excited. Never before have the College Republicans and College Democrats collaborated on an event on this scale and this prestige,” said CD president Josh Altman.