What we’re listening to: Hatchet music picks

Hatchet reporter Kelsey Grashoff shares her latest musical obsessions.

A Fine Frenzy: “Almost Lover”

This was the first song that I had ever heard from A Fine Frenzy, and I was pleasantly surprised. The lyrics are heartfelt, and the vocals are light but strong. The piano instrumentals fit the bittersweet tone of the song very well.  With lyrics like, “So you’re gone and I’m haunted/ And I bet you are just fine,” it’s perfect for anyone struggling to get over an old romantic interest, or even someone just looking for some easy listening.

The “Glee” Cast: “Baby It’s Cold Outside”

I’ll admit it, I’m usually one of those grumpy, cold-hearted people who want to yell at whoever decided that Christmas music before Thanksgiving was okay, but this version of a Christmas favorite makes me surprisingly okay with the absurdly early music. Darren Criss, the newest member of the Glee cast, certainly brings new life into this classic, and its peaceful, wintery feel certainly makes you feel like curling up with some hot chocolate on a snowy night.

Mumford & Sons: “Awake My Soul”

In addition to the lively banjo and fiddle instrumentals, the lyrics of most of Mumford & Sons’s songs are well written, but easily discernible. “Awake My Soul” is an exception to that statement. To me, it seems as if a lot of the lyrics of this song contradict each other, but in such a way as to make me listen to it even more trying to decide what they intended the listener to think about. The song has several different lyrical facets and is sure to have you listening several times over.