University sees record increase in Early Decision I applications

Correction appended

The University saw an 18.5 percent increase in Early Decision I applicants this year, a University official confirmed Tuesday, making it the second year in a row GW saw double-digit growth in early applicants.

GW received 1725 ED I applications, up from 1,455 ED I applicants last year, Associate Vice President and Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Kathryn Napper said Tuesday.

This year’s ED I applicant pool represents an 82 percent jump since 2007, and there is still another round of early decision applications, which are due in January.

Napper said no other information is available yet as to the quality of the applicant pool, as applications were due Nov. 10 and admissions officers have yet to review the applications.

“As you can imagine, I am very pleased with the application numbers so far and that we continue to maintain a wide geographic appeal,” Napper said in an e-mail. “We begin application review in earnest after the Thanksgiving holiday when all the Admissions directors have returned from fall travel. Reports from the directors indicate that they have met with many incredible students this fall and that GW remains highly regarded throughout all the regions that we visit.”

The Hatchet originally reported a 25 percent increase in Early Decision I applications, based on the percentage provided by the University. After doing the math, it appears the increase is actually 18.5 percent.

Gabrielle Marush contributed to this report