SGA Senate adds two positions to executive cabinet
By Molly St. Clair, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024
Officials to begin HVAC, roof repairs this weekend
By Jenna Lee, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024

What we’re watching: Hatchet movie picks

Hatchet reporter Elizabeth Hay shares her latest flicks.

Red (2010)

The plot is simple. Marked as retired and extremely dangerous, black-ops agent Frank Moses (Bruce Willis) is now a target of the CIA agency he used to work for. In order to escape death one more time he reassembles his old team and like the records keeper says, “They don’t make them like this anymore.”

I am usually not one to watch action films, but this was unexpectedly good. Red” reminds me of TV shows like “The A Team,” whose film adaptation did not do the show justice. “Red” is also adapted from a comic book written by Warren Ellis and illustrated by Cully Hamner. Unlike its more recent contemporaries, it does not rely on the usual formula for making action films. Yes, it is filled with some of Hollywood’s biggest names, but besides Bruce Willis the others are not usually associated with action films.  The cast, which includes Mary-Louise Parker, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, and Morgan Freeman, are a knockout group and work together well. They have excellent comedic timing, which takes away from the movie’s action-packed subplot in a delightfully cerebral way. They are a group of unexpected heroes and that element works.

What is particularly interesting about the film is the use of CGI explosions. Maybe because it is an older cast who are less likely to be doing their own stunts, CGI is the one element that I did not agree with.  I know the story is unlikely already, but there was no need to make it less realistic by using fake explosions. This is a grown up action film that I think will be well received by those who go see it.  If you are expecting an adrenaline-pumping macho man type of movie, this is not it. The heroes of this film are not young, suave or even Bond-like in any way, but this film brings the laughs and is worth the money. Be sure to lookout for places you might recognize because, like any good film about the CIA, D.C. is a central location.

Genre:  Action Comedy, Action

Director: Robert Schwentke

Starring: Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Mary-Louise Parker

Released: Oct. 15, 2010