What we’re listening to: Hatchet arts music picks

Hatchet reporter Christina Oriel shares her latest musical obsessions.

Broken Social Scene: “All to All”

This track, from the Canadian indie rock band’s fourth album “Forgiveness Rock Record,” falls at number one of my “Top 25 Most Played” iTunes list for October.  Perhaps the lyrics entice me to keep this song on repeat or perhaps it is the sweet sounding tune I cannot resist humming along to each time.  “All to All” lessens the weight of the lyrics that plead for forgiveness and adds a lighter spin to a sensitive theme.

José González: “Heartbeats”

My initial reaction to “Heartbeats” was to think how this song sounded like it would be played during the last two minutes of a dramatic primetime television show. José González perfectly transforms The Knife’s original upbeat and synth-filled creation into a slower-paced and emotional rendition. It is simply a great track for its lack of embellishment and overbearing instrumentals. The combination of spine-tingling vocals and simple guitar chords contribute to the beauty, intimacy, and mellowness that emanate. It’s a song I have yet to stop playing constantly.

Class Actress: “Let Me Take You Out”

A fitting song to play in the background as the day transitions to night. It’s fun and airy. Not to mention the reiteration of “Let me take you out, downtown, tonight, let me take you out” enhances the catchiness.