Students featured in Republican campaign spot

Four students were featured in a conservative voting advertisement released last week by the College Republicans National Committee.

The 30-second advertisement “I Am Debt” was produced by alumnus Rob Lockwood, who is now the communications director of the national organization. In the spot, sophomores Carlos Vazquez-Gonzalez and Eugenia Finizio, junior Lindsay Life and senior Maury Nolen act out writing notes to parents about their disappointment in President Barack Obama’s economic policies.

“Thanks to the democrats, I am debt, I am deficit and I am at risk,” says one narrator in the commercial.

The advertisement was the second that the CRNC filmed using GW students, this year. In September, a video titled “The Break Up” urged young people to part with the cool-factor associated with Obama during the midterm elections. The video garnered more than 80,000 hits on YouTube.

“These were really fun to shoot and see the coverage that it received,” said Life, who appeared in both ads. “You have to expect that with anything as political as this there may be a negative reaction, but you have to just laugh it off.”

Though Life, who is a former Hatchet reporter, said that she participates in the GW College Republicans, she said that working on the video was more about being involved in the political community than associating herself with one particular group.

“On a campus like this, most people connect with one political party,” said Life. “I’m not a closed-minded person and I like talking about different views, so this opens up that conversation.”