GW alumnus decisively wins D.C. mayoral primary

GW alumnus Vincent Gray trounced incumbent Mayor Adrian Fenty in Tuesday’s D.C. primary election, taking home 53 percent of the vote to Fenty’s 45 percent, according to unofficial election results.

Fenty is expected to concede to Gray first thing Wenesday morning, according to The Washington Post.

The University released a statement Wednesday morning congratulating the GW alumni who won primary elections across the country Tuesday, and gave a special congratulations to Gray, who received both his undergraduate and graduate degrees from GW. Gray was also the first African-American admitted to GW’s fraternity system, and later became the chancellor of Tau Epsilon Phi, which no longer exists at the University.

“We would like to extend special congratulations to Vincent Gray, B.A. ’64, in the
District of Columbia’s mayoral primary,” the University said in a statement. “We are proud of our alumni who come to GW with a passion for changing the world and go on to take active public service roles in their communities.”

Because there is no viable Republican mayoral candidate running in the general election in November, Gray is almost certainly going to be the next mayor of the city.

Two young GW alumni also faced primary elections Tuesday in the Maryland House of Delegates.

GW alumnus Lamar Thorpe – a former Student Association President who graduated from the University in 2007 – lost his bid for Maryland’s 47th district, taking home just 7 percent of the vote, according to unofficial election results.

Alumnus Kyle Lierman, who graduated from GW in May, is currently in fourth place in his run for the 16th district in Maryland’s House of Delegates, according to unofficial election results.