Lisner Auditorium: Fall season

Whether you’re a regular Lisner patron or you haven’t gone near the auditorium since CI, this season features a variety of speakers and artists worth checking out. It doesn’t hurt that Lisner offers great student discounts as well. Here are a few noteworthy events to look for in the upcoming weeks:

The United States Air Force Band known as the Airmen of Note will be presenting the Jazz Heritage Series this fall. The series features notable alumni as well as the band’s own jazz musicians. If you’re into jazz or just up for a free concert, the Airmen of Note’s 60th anniversary celebrations offer three chances to catch their tune.

A string ensemble composed entirely of women, Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà offer a “contagious happiness” for their audience. The program takes a look at the violin and how it has acted as a voice throughout history. Whether you’re interested in the semantics or not, the program will offer a dynamic performance if the ensemble’s YouTube video is any indication.

While there’s no student discount, the 39th president’s lecture about his term as president will provide an in-depth look at his administration’s accomplishments and his own reflections. Reading from his own personal diary, which is set for release on Sept. 20, Carter will also be sign copies after the reading.

David Sedaris has been taking a crack at the human condition for a while. The humor writer has written a variety of books, essays and has contributed to the radio show “This American Life.” Since all of his books seem to become bestsellers, Sedaris’s performance is sure to spark up a few laughs. The author will also be releasing “Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk,” a collection of fables, in September.

You may have caught Burr on “The Chappelle’s Show” or in “Date Night,” but the comedian doesn’t just provide mindless laughs. With his “uninformed logic”, Burr offers up the same humor that landed him a second Comedy Central special which premiers Sept. 18.

Considered one of the best radio hosts in America, Ira Glass created the radio program “This American Life” which reins in over 1.8 million viewers each week. Glass will be speaking about the television adaptation of the program which lasted for two years and won three Emmy Awards. While the talk isn’t technically until spring, it would be a good idea to get tickets early in case the rest of the 2 million listeners buy them first.