Conservative group finds that GW has liberal bias

Conservative organization CampusReform.org released a report Tuesday that found GW’s on-campus organizations, professors and classes have liberal leanings, but provides little evidence to support most of the claims.

According to the report, of the University’s on-campus organizations, 13 are “left-leaning,” and six are “right-leaning.” The report also found that 87 percent of donations made by GW faculty and staff in the 2008 presidential election went to Democratic candidates, and an “equal 87 percent” of the total dollars donated by GW faculty and staff went to Democrats.

In 2008, The Hatchet found that University employees overwhelmingly supported Democratic candidates during that election, with more than 40 percent of all campaign contributions going to Illinois Democratic Sen. Barack Obama.

The leftist groups named are Allied in Pride, College Democrats, Colonials Against State Execution, Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, NAACP, GW Students for Fair Trade, NOW-GW, Progressive Student Union, Roosevelt Institute, STAND, Students for Justice in Palestine, Voices for Choices and The Daily Colonial. The right-leaning groups identified in the report are Colonials for Life, College Republicans, GW Republican Women, GW Student Alliance for Israel, GW Young America’s Foundation Chapter and the GW Patriot.

GW has more than 430 official student organizations.

The report also cites students as reporting a liberal bias in the classroom citing one professor for being “well-known” for her work on Marxism and feminism, and  quotes “right-leaning” GW Young America’s Foundation former president Travis Korson as saying, “I’ve had professors openly criticize conservatives in the classroom while denying that the academy leans strongly to the left.”