University announces special partnership with Smithsonian

The Smithsonian Institution penned a formal partnership with the University Friday to engage in joint scientific research.

The agreement gives GW students and faculty access to the museum’s resources and establishing a fund for joint research projects, according to a news release.

The memorandum of understanding will lead to a collaborative program in museum studies, expand relationships between the Smithsonian and GW’s anthropology, biology, and American studies departments and a Smithsonian fellowship for students. A committee comprised of representatives from both institutions will work out exact details in the future.

University President Steven Knapp, Provost Steven Lerman, and Columbian College Dean Peg Barratt joined Smithsonian Institution Secretary Wayne Clough at a signing ceremony held in the Smithsonian Castle.

“This agreement builds on a century of partnership and will enhance the contribution both institutions make to the knowledge, education and cultural enrichment of the American public and visitors to Washington from around the world,” Knapp said.

“I am very pleased to be signing this MOU between two great D.C. institutions, both with a long proud history in our nation’s capital, and more than a century of cooperative relationships between us,” Clough said, adding that it would lead to advances in research and education for another 100 years.

The Smithsonian has similar partnerships with the University of Maryland and George Mason.