First lady, Dr. Biden announce new preventive health care measures at GW

First Lady Michelle Obama joined Dr. Jill Biden and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to outline new preventive health care measures made available under the Affordable Care Act at the GW Medical Faculty Associates building Wednesday afternoon.

The announcement – made in front of an audience of doctors, nurses and leaders from the health community – highlighted the preventive health care coverage made available under the  Act, which requires new insurance plans to cover preventative care costs to customers, allowing many more Americans to be able to afford preventive services that help prevent disease and reduce health care costs, according to lawmakers.

Sebelius discussed several measures included in the Act that she said will result in a healthier America, including the $15 billion prevention and public health fund that communities can use to build public parks and gardens as well as deal with chronic diseases.

Biden encouraged women over 40 to get mammogram screenings, saying that if 90 percent of women were to be screened each year, nearly 4,000 lives would be saved. Currently, 67 percent of women get annual mammogram screenings, she said.

“It seems so obvious that focusing on preventive care makes more sense than trying to play catch up with deadly diseases,” she said.

Obama praised the “landmark bill” while highlighting her efforts to decrease child obesity rates. The Act will allow for nutrition counseling, BMI screenings and better prenatal care.

Obama discussed the responsibility of parents in keeping their children healthy.

“Ultimately, each of us needs to be part of the solution on this one. Each of us needs to take responsibility for our own health. Each of us needs to use the tools available to ensure our kids get every possible chance to live happy, healthy lives,” she said.

Doctors from GW Medical Faculty Associates joined the first lady on stage for the announcement. The GW Medical Faculty Associates is comprised of 550 doctors who care for patients in 47 medical specialties. Patients are seen at the main building at GW, located on Pennsylvania Avenue, as well as locations at Howard University and Sibley Memorial, Suburban and INOVA Fairfax Hospitals.

Obama thanked GW for remaining “a trusted neighbor and partner,” while Sebelius praised GW Hospital for its disease prevention efforts and the community outreach that has made more people aware of prevention tools.

“GW Hospital is leading the way with innovative approaches that we hope to implement across the country. We appreciate your work,” Sebelius  said.

The visit was not Obama’s first to GW. In November, the first lady along with Dr. Biden gave remarks at a Veterans Day event in Lisner Auditorium to encourage Americans to help active duty U.S. troops and veterans. Support for veterans and military families has been a key issue for Biden, along with children’s nutrition for Obama.

In May, Mrs. Obama challenged graduates of the class of 2010 to continue their dedication to community service as the keynote speaker for the University-wide Commencement ceremony.

This was Secretary Sebelius’ first visit to the University.

GW was also the chosen location for another policy announcement from the Obama administration. In April, Vice President Joe Biden outlined stricter restrictions for schools to demonstrate Title IX compliance at the Smith Center.