SGA Senate adds two positions to executive cabinet
By Molly St. Clair, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024
Officials to begin HVAC, roof repairs this weekend
By Jenna Lee, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024

White House joins University to host environmental symposium

The White House Council on Environmental Quality announced a partnership with GW in June to bring members of the public and private sectors together to create a more green government.

From Oct. 5 to the 7, GW will host the first GreenGov Symposium to discuss innovative ways for the federal government to become more environmentally friendly.

Last October, President Barack Obama signed an executive order charging federal agencies to lead in the sustainability effort by example. Agencies are required by law to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, conserve and efficiently use resources, reduce waste and promote green products, and technology.

The three-day event – symbolic of the University’s commitment to a sustainable society – will highlight issues such as clean energy, water efficiency, waste decrease, greening the supply chain, and ways to increase sustainability.

President Steven Knapp commissioned the Office of Sustainability two years ago to promote environmental initiatives at GW but the University saw a 6 percent decline in per-person recycling compared to 2009 during a 10-week nationwide recycling program this spring. In May, the University unveiled it’s climate action plan, focusing on personal accountability to make the University carbon neutral. An expert said in June that the plan is on the right track.