What we’re listening to: Hatchet Arts music picks

Hatchet Reporters Patrick Rochelle and Emily Katz share their latest musical obsessions.

Patrick Rochelle

Joanna Newsom: “On A Good Day”

In a generation overcome by drum pads, skinny jeans and auto tune, Newsom appears to be about as far from mainstream as an artist can get.  The California native’s child-like voice, intricate melodies and orchestral arrangements make her stand out in an industry covered in plaid. Not to mention she also plays the harp. What could possibly be more hip than that?

Hot Chip: “And I Was a Boy from School”

When I think of electronic music, I think of fist pumping and European club rats. For a long time this bias scared me away from the genre, but ever since I started listening to Hot Chip I’ve come around. The band has a talent for combining upbeat catchy melodies with quirky lyrics which is a far cry from the throbbing walls and drone the underground club scene.

Starsmith Remix Feat. Ellie Goulding: “Sleepyhead”

Since Passion Pit’s album “Manners” came out a year ago, there have been countless remixes of “Sleepyhead,” but none do justice to the original like British artist Ellie Goulding. Goulding’s rich soprano voice breathes new life into this frequently remixed song.

Emily Katz

Yo La Tengo: “Periodically Triple or Double”

This week I’ve been trying to channel music that is conducive to homework but still holds the essence of summer. This song is the epitome of the two. Their song, “If It’s True,” also off of their album “Popular Songs” is a good mix of the two as well.

Belle and Sebastian: “A Summer Wasting”

This is what I feel like doing when I’m on the sixth floor of Gelman Library. Putting that aside, it has a great melodious study-tune that still manages to capture the poppy sounds of summer.

Camera Obscura: “French Navy”

This was one of my favorite songs from last summer by one of my favorite bands of all time. There are just no happier instrumentals or a more high-energy chorus ever produced. There’s something about this song that just makes it timeless.