Fashionistas of the week

Fashionistas of the Week is a post featuring the three best-dressed students on campus as spotted by our fashion writer. Keep your eyes open for a reporter and photographer walking around because you might be chosen as the latest trendsetter.

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter Ana Buling

As the semester draws to a close, and the hectic days of exams approach, libraries and coffee shops are filled with GW students rushing to get everything done. But of course,  this is all done in style. Here are a few examples of students who looked right off the runway even while holding stacks of textbooks.

Alexandra Noghaven, a freshman majoring in political science

Wearing a vividly colored and printed Forever 21 dress, shoes from Urban Outfitters and a bag she found on a recent raid through her mother’s closet, this fashionista was walking into the library when I stopped her to ask about her favorite style and fashion inspiration. She said she loves fashion history, and draws inspiration from the 1940s and earlier decades. In terms of her own personal style she said it’s “whatever I pick up that day.” As for her fashion inspiration she said, “Karl Lagerfeld is a badass.”

Alisa La, a sophomore majoring in American studies

Clad in an H&M frock and shades and Steve Madden boots, this fashionista’s monochrome and put-together outfit seemed perfect for a day full of activities. Her versatile outfit could have been worn straight from classes to a night out. Her fashion idol is also Karl Lagerfeld, and her style is romantic and fancy. She loves to emphasize the details, and one of her favorite fashion trends is concert wear.

Justin Balsamo, a junior majoring in marketing and dance

This fashionisto is a perfect example of street style, as showcased on popular fashion blogs, such as The Sartorialist. Denim as well as denim-on-denim is a huge trend this spring and summer. His simple Forever 21 top, FCUK scarf and Cole Haan bag all perfectly complement his ensemble, giving it a cool and laid-back vibe. His fashion idol is—yay! not Karl Lagerfeld— but Marc Jacobs, and he describes his style as urban.