What we’re listening to: Hatchet Arts music picks

Hatchet Reporters Patrick Rochelle and Emily Katz share their latest musical obsessions.

Emily Katz

Rad Omen: “Rad Anthem”

This song is a little more electronic-y than what I usually listen to, but I’ve been really digging its retro feel. It manages to be really contemporary while still a throwback, which makes for a great, lush sound. This song is sure to blow up just in time for summer dance parties.

Robyn: “Fembot”

I’m not a huge fan of Robyn’s – “The Girl and The Robot” not included – but this song is funny, catchy and slickly produced. When Robyn veers towards slower songs, with few instrumentals, it seems to only do her a disservice: her sound is less powerful and much more generic. Conversely, this song, while somewhat goofy, displays just how much pop star potential she really has.

Theophilus London: “Oops, Oh My”

This Tweet cover is epic in concept, and pretty solid in execution. It radiates urban street culture, with Theophilus’ rough voice giving the song an even edgier angle. With a more modern backbeat and a new rap verse, this version is sufficiently different from the original.

Patrick Rochelle

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros: “Home”

With the end of school so near, I don’t think I’m the only with my sights on home. But no matter where you’re going this summer, the Zeros’ eclectic sound covers all the bases. From banjo interludes to trumpet solos, the band’s poppy folk will make you smile thinking about the weeks and months to come.

Frightened Rabbit: “Swim Until You Can’t See Land”

Lead singer Scott Hutchison’s voice is a mix of Flogging Molly front man David King’s Celtic drawl, and indie rock martyr Elliott Smith’s quiet, pining vocals. If you like either, the group’s new album, “Winter of Mixed Drinks,” is a must buy.

Elliott Smith: “Angeles”

I don’t mean to be a buzz kill. I really don’t. I just really like Elliott Smith, and occasionally one of his songs will sneak back into my play list. It’s a problem but a good one to have.