SGA Senate adds two positions to executive cabinet
By Molly St. Clair, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024
Officials to begin HVAC, roof repairs this weekend
By Jenna Lee, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024

University prepares for IMF, World Bank meetings

Annual spring meetings for the International Monetary Fund and World Bank this weekend will impact the area around GW, according to a University InfoMail sent Wednesday.

Though the impact on the University is expected to be limited, according to the e-mail, parking will be restricted and sidewalk and road closures are expected near the IMF and World Bank buildings.

The security measures around the buildings will be in place beginning this Friday night, April 23, and continuing until Monday morning, April 26.

The Vern Express, traveling between the Mount Vernon and Foggy Bottom campuses, and pedestrian access to university facilities are not expected to be affected by the meetings, according to the e-mail.

In the past, World Bank and IMF meetings have been marked by protests, some turning violent. In 2008 demonstrations against the financial institutions were relatively calm, however.

About 10,000 people are expected to attend the meetings this weekend to discuss the progress of the IMF and World Bank.

The University advises students to carry their GWorld and follow directions from law enforcement during the weekend, as well as to observe traffic changes. Campus updates can be found on the Campus Advisories website.