Joint Elections Committee hands down first round of violations

The Joint Elections Committee gave executive vice president candidate Logan Dobson one campaign penalty during violation hearings Monday, while EVP rival Rob Maxim received zero.

Dobson took first place in last week’s Student Association elections, and Maxim came in second. The two will proceed to a runoff election.

Monday was the first of night of what could be a drawn-out violations process, after a record number of complaints were filed against SA candidates this year. The JEC met Friday night to determine probable cause on about 60 complaints, and will finish determining whether or not those complaints warrant violations tomorrow evening. On Wednesday, the body will consider if there is reason to move forward on another 70 or so complaints, and will likely hand out any penalties at hearings on Thursday and Friday.

Dobson accrued his penalty for having too many campaign posters on the Marvin Center. EVP candidates are limited to 30 posters on the Marvin Center, and the JEC said Dobson had 32. Both he and Maxim will appear before the JEC tomorrow night to address additional complaints.

EVP candidate Josh Goldstein, who placed fourth in last week’s Student Association elections, received two penalties for having students put up posters for him without wearing candidate-identifying nametags.

After the JEC announced the decision, JEC Chairman Jake Chervinsky said the hearings had been “pleasant and quick.”

“Hearings were more amicable than we thought they would be,” Chervinsky said. “We feel that we succeeded in enforcing both the spirit and letter of the law simultaneously.”