Neighborhood group loses appeal to Square 54

A community group’s challenge to a zoning board’s approval to develop Square 54 was denied by the D.C. Court of Appeals, a University spokeswoman said Wednesday.

The Court of Appeals order upholds the D.C. Zoning Commission’s approval of the development, spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said in a statement. A reversal could have potentially halted construction on the project, which is now several grades above ground level in some spots.

The Commission approved both the University’s 2007 Foggy Bottom Campus Plan and Square 54 in 2007. The Foggy Bottom Association, led by a GW alumnus, appealed both orders. The Campus Plan was upheld in September, but the University’s methodology of counting students was sent back to the zoning commission for review.

FBA President and alumnus Asher Corson said it was too early to comment on the decision without consulting the rest of the community group, but expressed disbelief the University was advertising the decision during a snow day.

“GW should focus its resources on cleaning up its campus so students and professors can get to class. Instead they are churning out press releases declaring victory over Square 54, a site that current students will never benefit from,” Corson said.

Square 54, located across the street from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop, will feature office space, apartments, retail space and a full-service grocery store upon its expected completion in 2011.

“While we have long believed that we had a strong case in support of the Zoning Commission’s decision, it is gratifying to us and our partner, Boston Properties, to receive the Court’s decision and have the matter so firmly decided,” said GW President Steven Knapp in a statement. “We look forward to sharing the amenities of this wonderful project with our neighbors in Foggy Bottom and beyond.”