D.C. slammed by blizzard

The debate over what to call the weekend’s blizzard may be over; President Barack Obama called the 16-25 inches of white stuff dumped on the region “Snowmageddon” on Saturday.

It’s likely nothing less than a presidential decree could settle the debate over whether the blizzard was “Snowpocalypse,” “Snowtorious B.I.G.,” and “snOMG,” all of which have been trending on Twitter. According to The National Weather Service, the District hasn’t been blanketed with so much snow since a blizzard, named Knickerbocker Storm of 1922 due to the roof collapse of Knickerbocker Theatre which killed 98 and injured 133, hit in January of 1922.

The University had not made announcements regarding classes on Monday as of Saturday afternoon. University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said on Saturday that Executive Vice President and Treasurer Lou Katz and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Donald Lehman will make the final call.

Around campus, some businesses are closing early or not opening at all and Gelman Library will remain closed until Sunday morning. The University, despite closing early on Friday, planned snow-related programming for the weekend.

Students brave enough to venture outside should be wary of trees cracking under a heavy cover of snow and snowballs straying from the snowball fights across campus.

The Vern Express is still running but William Goldring, a driver for International Limousine Company, said buses have frequently been getting stuck in snowbanks.

“It’s going to seem like they’re not running because they’re not going to be able to move as fast,” he said.

Beyond Foggy Bottom, the city is busy dealing with fallen trees, snow removal and transit issues. The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority announced Saturday that the Metro will close early Saturday night, at 11p.m., and there will be no above ground rail service, Metrobus or MetroAccess service on Sunday. Park Police also announced that the Washington Monument, Lincoln and Jefferson memorials are closed due to snow and high winds until further notice.

News Editors Amy D’Onofrio and Emily Cahn contributed to this report. Slideshow photos by Photo Editor Viktors Dindzans.