McCain not “uninvited” to GW, clarifies tweets

Updated, 6:27 p.m.

Meghan McCain has taken to her twitter account to clarify that she is still speaking on campus:

“my agent has informed me I have not been disinvited but the college republicans have reneged their sponsorship at GWU, sorry for the confusion. As far as I know, until further notice I am still speaking at GWU in February…will keep everybody updated if it changes.”

Earlier this afternoon, McCain tweeted that she had been “uninvited” from her Feb. 9th appearance at GW:

“I am disappointed to hear that I have been uninvited to speak at George Washington University as a result of my stance on marriage equality…I am a proud supporter of LGBT rights in this country and marriage equality, I am also a proud republican. I understand I am not for everyone but am disappointed at the resulting controversy nonetheless.”

Jamie Baker – president of the Graduate School of Political Management Student Association, a co-sponsor of McCain’s appearance – said he heard the news but did not know who canceled the event.

McCain’s talent agency, Greater Talent Network, Inc., could not be reached for comment.

Michael Komo, president of Allied in Pride, could not immediately be reached for comment. Komo sparked controversy this week, after he told The Hatchet that McCain would be appearing as the keynote speaker of their annual “Marriage Equality Week” in February, but failed to tell the College Republicans this when he asked for their financial support. Robert Noel, CR public relations director, said the CR’s would not have said yes to a co-sponsorship of the event had they known this when they met with Komo.

McCain, an outspoken advocate for gay rights, is the daughter of former Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain.