Obama speaks at Kennedy Center, thanks Red Cross for Haiti effort

President Obama's motorcade waits outside the Kennedy Center Monday evening.

President Obama made several stops around the GW campus Monday, blocking off vehicle access to roads near the Red Cross building on 20 and E streets and near the Kennedy Center.

Obama first visited the American Red Cross headquarters to thank workers for their efforts following the devastating earthquake in Haiti, the Washington Post reported.

First lady Michelle Obama joined the President at the Disaster Operations Center – the space where the Red Cross is managing its earthquake response efforts – for a tour and to personally thank the staffers.

“We’re just here to say thank you for the great work you’re doing,” Obama told the workers.

Politico posted a video this afternoon of Obama thanking staffers when he saw one worker tweeting about the visit.

“President Obama and the First Lady are here visiting our disaster operation center right now,”  the tweet said.

The Washington Post reported that Obama saw the tweet and then hit the send button, telling reporters later that was the first time he had “tweeted.”

At 6 p.m., Politico reported that Obama attended the Let Freedom Ring event at the Kennedy Center. Obama made brief remarks before Grammy-winning artist India Arie performed before the sold-out Concert Hall.