Trial date set for students charged in drug raid

Editor’s note:
In September 2010, a judge dismissed Russell Dubin’s case because it lacked evidence to move forward.

A trial date has been set for five students arrested after a drug raid at their Foggy Bottom townhouse in October.

The trial was set for March 29, 2010, but at a status hearing on Monday morning, prosecutors offered the five students – Brett Reisman, James Donoghue, Dennis Perales, Jared Cobert, and Russell Dubin – plea deals of undisclosed terms.

In court, prosecutors told the judge that the plea offers were “wired,” which means that all the defendants would have to accept the deal for it to be granted. If one defendant does not accept the deal, the offer would not stand.

“We’ll probably pursue plea offers,” Howard Katzoff, Dubin’s attorney, told D.C. Superior Court Judge Florence Pan.

The next day, however, Reisman’s attorney Chris Casey said he and his client were not pursuing a plea offer. Casey confirmed that prosecutors had offered a plea deal, but would not go into detail on what it entails.

“At this point I expect [the case] to go to trial unless charges are amended,” Casey said.

Prosecutors said they were willing to leave plea offers open through the New Year, until Jan. 11. Any motions on the case are due by Jan. 25.

All five defendants have pleaded not guilty to separate drug charges.

Attorneys for Dubin, Perales, Cobert, and Donoghue did not return requests for comment for this article.