Fashionistas of the Week

Alex Smith
Alex Davis
Andrea Leal
Andrea Leal
Gabriel Seder and Paige Hansen
Gabriel Seder and Paige Hansen

‘Fashionistas of the Week’ is a new, weekly series we recently launched that takes a look at some of the fashion on campus.

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter Christian Ewing.

Studying for final exams and finishing, or starting, those end-of-semester papers makes it hard to get dressed in the morning, let alone do so with fashion in mind. However, there are some GW students that haven’t let the end of the year blues mess with their sense of style. Here are a few GW students who brought a little fashion joy to our somber, studious atmosphere here at the end of the semester.

Alex Davis– It’s all about old-world charm for senior, International Affairs and Art History double-major Alex. Inspired by his grandfather and “old French people,” he layered a gray-and-black plaid peacoat over a geometric-print baby blue sweater and vintage dark skinny jeans. A big fan of vintage, he proudly shared that his intricate silk scarf, leather gloves, boots, and hat are all from thrift stores. What was really eye catching were the two pins that he wore on his coat’s lapel that he had bought in his hometown, Cleveland, Oh. Alex describes his style as: “Old man from the 60’s meets the bottom of my mom’s jewelry box.”

Andrea Leal -Even as temperatures continue to drop, Public Policy grad student, Andrea, doesn’t hesitate to draw inspiration from warm, summer days with her floral, magenta and orange floor-length skirt, sensibly paired with a solid black turtleneck sweater and black leather boots. “I like a lot of romantic things,” she said of her style. “I prefer dresses, skirts, and anything colorful.” She gets most of her clothes, including the ones she had on when we met, from her home country, Brazil, because designers there rely so heavily on the summery influences of South America.

Gabriel Seder and Paige Hansen –It’s nice to see one passerby wearing a cute outfit, but it is a rare treat to find a pair of stylish friends. We found Paige and Gabriel, both senior International Affairs majors, outside the Marvin Center working chic winter ensembles. Gabriel enjoys a more laissez-faire approach to style, saying he “found” his black trench coat, got his pants from his mom, his shirt from a friend, his stocking cap from a street vendor for $4 and his suede taupe boots from Payless for $9. According to him, he doesn’t have a style, but we beg to differ—the best style is often accidental. Paige wore an elegant double-breasted charcoal coat and a charming red plaid skirt with gray tights and those oh-so-classy Oxford heels, all from Zara. She was even prepared to throw a little bit of sunshine at a rainy day with her bright orange umbrella. Both Paige and Gabriel mentioned that their clothes are always covered in cat hair, but Paige seemed embarrassed for me to write it down. Don’t worry guys, on people as stylish as you it could be the next trend!