Public Enemy rocks GW’s streets to fight homelessness

This post was written by Hatchet reporters Erica Obersi and Johee Chung

Old school hip-hop renegades Public Enemy performed at Lisner Auditorium Wednesday night in a concert to raise public awareness about youth homelessness.

Flavor Flav and Chuck D. were cheered on by GW students as the group rode in a flatbed truck parading down G Street. Students captured the moment on their Blackberries and iPhones as the rap duo jumped and performed, throwing copies of their CD to the crowd on their way to the venue.

The event, billed as “An Evening With Public Enemy: Concert to Fight Youth Homelessness” benefited the Sasha Bruce Youthwork, a homeless youth shelter in the District. Coats donated along with the money raised from ticket sales for the performance will benefit The Sasha Bruce House.

As Flavor Flav arrived at Lisner in his infamous clock chain, numerous GW students stopped what they were doing to see the rapper and reality show personality.

“I heard the music and everyone was screaming, ‘It’s Flavor Flav,’ so I ran over,” said Manuel Iglesia, a freshman. “He was wearing a smaller clock than normal, and it was a little depressing, but it was understandable.”

Fans who donated coats at the performance received upgraded VIP seating.

“We have received about 150 donations so far,” said Paige Cortez, assistant house manager of Lisner Auditorium. “A lot more [donations] are expected at the 9:30 club, who promoted the event,” she said.

Over two million youth between the ages of 12 and 24 will experience homelessness each year, according to the concert’s promotional materials.

The rap duo shouted that “youth homelessness is public enemy number one,” and encouraged all fans, especially young adults, to help their own generation by donating to the cause.

Chuck D. stressed that apathy is unacceptable in this day and age. “Every snowflake if it had a chance in an avalanche would plead not guilty,” he rapped.

Over 1,000 fans of all ages sang along to the politically charged lyrics of songs like “Fight the Power,” “Bring The Noise” and “Shut ‘Em Down.”

The audience, comprised of longtime fans and current GW students filled the floor area and nearly all the seats in the auditorium.

Some GW students were disappointed they did not know more about the event beforehand.

“If I found out earlier I probably would’ve [bought tickets for the show],” said Aria Morris, a sophomore.

“Our purpose for being here tonight is for all the homeless kids in America,” said Chuck D, one of the members of the group. “We’re here to make them feel different because there is hope,” he said.

“Public Enemy is awesome. I love old school rap, but I’m disappointed at GW students for not filling more seats. People who like modern rap should know where it came from,” said freshman Leah Lawler.