Suspect identified in Duques Hall hammer assault

MohammedNNiazi

City police have identified a suspect in the assault of a graduate student in Duques Hall earlier this month.

Police are looking for 42-year-old Mohammed N. Niazi of Staunton, Va., according to an alert on the University’s campus advisories Web site. The  incident occured Oct. 9, when a man allegedly used a hammer to attack a student in a Duques bathroom.

Metropolitan Police Department officers are seeking help in locating Niazi, who is currently wanted for arrest. The warrant charges him with assault with a dangerous weapon, according to the campus advisory.

University Police Chief Dolores Stafford did not immediately return requests for comment.

Niazi should be considered armed and dangerous, according to the alert, anyone who sees him or knows of his location should contact police rather than take direct action.

In the assault, the student was hit in the back of the head with a hammer, causing a three-inch gash and major, but not life-threatening , injuries. The student, who was using a urinal at the time of the attack, was taken to GW Hospital but released later that night.

According to a GW Infomail from earlier this month, there has been no evidence to indicate the victim and suspect knew one another, and the Oct. 9 incident appears to have been a random act of violence.