Wind, rain and capsized boats end Navy ROTC regatta early

Jordan Emont/Hatchet Photographer
Boats sail the Potomac River on Saturday before the regatta ended early. Jordan Emont/Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter Komal Thakkar.

GW’s Navy ROTC unit won the annual regatta on Saturday after the competition came down to a game of rock, paper, scissors.

Officials ended the competition – featuring units from Auburn University, Jacksonville University, University of Pennsylvania, Villanova University and GW – early after wind and rain caused multiple boats to capsize after the first round of races.

“It’s not as much about sailing as it is a chance for the units to come together. They get to meet other kids and discuss their ROTC experiences,” Captain Brian Gawne, who heads the NROTC program at GW, said. “In a few years, they may be serving together, so it’s a good opportunity for them to interact with each other at events like this.”

The boat from GW is pictured above. Jordan Emont/Hatchet Photographer
One of the boats from GW. Jordan Emont/Hatchet Photographer

Units were separated by sailing experience into two teams, A-team and B-team, but only A-team raced the course – three buoys at various points on the Potomac – before wind and rain stopped the event.

Winners received one point; second place received two points and the team with the lowest number of points took home first prize.

After the races were canceled, the awards committee convened and decided to award the B-team’s third place trophy to Villanova’s Jim Bell for the most stylish outfit. Second place for the most stylish capsize was awarded to Gowell. After a competitive three-legged race, UPenn managed to win the first place B-team trophy.

“We have fun, and we hold our own,” said Villanova’s Tim Thomas said of his school’s placing.

A-team’s trophies were determined by actual measure of sailing ability. Third place went to Auburn. GW and Jacksonville were tied when the races ended so to determine the first and second place winners, both schools engaged in a tiebreaker game of rock, paper, scissors. GW took first place and Jacksonville took second.

The wind and rain forced the teams to have extra safety measures. Individuals racing had to wear a helmet and could only be from the more experienced A-team. Emily Gowell and Josh Saboti represented GW’s unit.

“I started sailing when I was eight. I really like it,” Gowell, a navy ROTC student from Georgetown said

With the help of various department heads, Midshipman Bryan Boldon organized the competition. Visiting teams arrived in D.C. on Friday night for a weekend of racing and inter-unit bonding, Midshipman Lauren Hedish said.

“Our overall mission is to have fun. We get to meet the people that we may be on the fleets with once they are commissioned,” Hedish, who organized lodging for the visiting teams said.

Visiting teams said winning the competition was not as important as the experience.

“This is our first regatta of the year,” UPenn’s Chris Stawiarsky said. “We’ll do our best, but it’s not really about trying to place.”