Aggravated assault occurs in Duques Hall, MPD investigating

Police tape blocks off the stairway to the second floor of Duques Hall.
This image of the suspect was included in the second Infomail

Update 7:03 p.m.

MPD Commander Matthew Klein said that the victim had been struck in the head with a hammer in Duques Hall shortly after 3:00 p.m. today. The victim was transported to GW Hospital and treated for an “apparently non-life-threatening head injury,” Klein said in an e-mail. Klein said the assault was an isolated incident and is under investigation.

A GW Infomail has also been sent out with photographs of the suspect captured from a security camera.

Update 6:52 p.m.

There is no information to indicate the victim and suspect knew each other, and the incident appears to have been a random act of violence, according to AlertDC.

AlertDC has also released an updated description of the suspect, based on a review of the security footage and information provided by the victim, who had been transported to GW Hopsital for treatment. A spokesperson at the hospital could not be reached for comment.

According to the AlertDC e-mail, the suspect is a “20-40 year old male, bald, possibly Middle Eastern descent, 5’10”-6 feet tall, stocky build, wearing three-quarter length light colored pants, long sleeve dark colored shirt, carrying a backpack.”

An aggravated assault occurred in Duques Hall at 3:05 p.m. today, according to a GW Crime Alert. The assault appears to have occurred on the second floor of the building, which houses the business school.

The e-mail describes the suspect as a 20 to 25-year-old male, 5-foot-10, with a stocky build, black slick hair, wearing a brown shirt and carrying a black backpack. The suspect’s race was not provided.

Assistant Vice President for communications Sarah Baldassaro said the victim had been transported to GW Hospital, but said that no additional information was available currently.

It is not yet clear who was assaulted, but students are reporting the crime occurred in a small conference room on the second floor.

Second-year MBA student Sonali Roy said she entered room 252, where the assault allegedly occurred, around 4 p.m. She said she did not realize that the room was a crime scene until a UPD officer told her to leave because further investigation was necessary, Roy said.

Junior Peter Shambora, who was also in the room after the attack had occurred, said he saw blood on one of the walls next to the door of the room.

The main staircase leading to the second floor has been blocked off by police tape since 4:30 p.m., and students on the second floor were asked to move elsewhere. Though parts are blocked off, the building is still accessible.

Amy D’Onofrio contributed to this report.