Univ. postpones two flu shot clinics due to lack of vaccinations

The last two seasonal flu shot clinics scheduled by the University to take place on Oct. 7 and 8 were postponed until more vaccinations arrive, the University announced in an Infomail Tuesday night.

“Wednesday’s seasonal flu shot clinic scheduled for the Marvin Center and Thursday’s clinic on the Mount Vernon campus have been postponed while the University awaits a delayed shipment of seasonal influenza vaccine,” the Infomail read. “Updated times and locations will be announced as soon as possible and posted on Campus Advisories.”

This year, the University began offering seasonal flu vaccinations free of charge for GW students, faculty and staff members. More than 3,500 students, faculty and staff members received their seasonal influenza vaccination at the first two seasonal flu clinics offered by the University – a higher turnout than the University anticipated.

University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard did not immediately return request for comment.

Update, Oct. 8: University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said the demand for flu shots this year has been high, noting that to date, 4,500 GW community members have been vaccinated, up from 1,800 last year.

“The University like many institutions and health care providers is being affected by a delay in seasonal influenza vaccine deliveries occurring across the country,” Sherrard said in an e-mail. “The University is awaiting a delivery of additional vaccine placed this summer in anticipation of greater than usual demand for seasonal flu shots.”

“The University will schedule additional seasonal flu clinics as soon as the vaccine is received,” Sherrard said.