Some student veterans receive emergency checks after delayed GI Bill payments

Nearly 14,000 student veterans applied for emergency checks from the Department of Veterans Affairs either online or in-person, according to an article in The Washington Post.

Fewer than 10 percent of student veterans nationwide have received payments for tuition, books and housing promised to them by the Yellow Ribbon Program in the Post-9/11 GI Bill. All of GW’s approximately 300 student veterans have been affected and neighboring institutions like American University and Georgetown University are also experiencing issues.

According to an article in The Los Angeles Times, the missing payments affect more than the student veterans’ tuition bills.

Most colleges have allowed veterans to attend classes while they await the government payments. But without housing money, veterans can’t cover basics such as rent and food. And many cannot afford to pay for books without the stipends.

“Schools may be willing to wait for tuition payments, but creditors and landlords don’t have a deal with the government. They want their money now,” said Isaac Pacheco, an AMVETS employee and former Marine who is attending graduate school at Georgetown University under the latest GI Bill.

The University announced their participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program in April. Under the program, the University givesĀ  each veteran about $18,000 and the VA and GI Bill fund the remainder of the tuition.