Ann Coulter speaks at Marvin Center

This post was written by Hatchet Staff Writer Amy D’Onofrio.

Conservative political commentator Ann Coulter addressed a variety of current issues before a student audience at the Marvin Center on Friday.

Coulter spoke about President Barack Obama, the arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, health care, the birther movement and Sarah Palin, who Coulter said had an “innate political talent” she hasn’t seen since Ronald Reagan.

The appearance in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom was the final event of the Young America’s Foundation’s 31st National Conservative Student Conference. The conference has been held at GW for 13 years, and 400 students from 38 states and 190 campuses attended, according to the YAF Web site.

Dressed in a blue mini-dress, Coulter drew much laughter and applause from the crowd. Jokes included commentary on the media’s comparison of Obama to Abraham Lincoln.

“I forget, how many times did Lincoln vote present? Because Obama voted present more than 100 times in the Illinois legislature,” Coulter said. “And did Lincoln do blow mostly in high school or did he wait until college?”

She offered several criticisms of the president and said his declining approval ratings were deserved.

“Liberals may see Obama’s presidency as the second coming, but given his policies so far I wouldn’t count on a second term coming,” Coulter said.

Coulter is a polarizing figure who has sparked much controversy in her career as a pundit and author. Many of her appearances on college campuses draw protests, and though the YAF event was not protested, she said she always brings a bodyguard when she speaks at universities.

“There is not much more fun than idiot liberals on college campuses,” Coulter said.

Ron Robinson, the national president of YAF, said he enjoyed the speech and praised Coulter.

“She represents the best and brightest of the conservative movement. She came out of the young conservative movement. She’s been in the battle a long time,” Robinson said.

Travis Korson, the president of the GW chapter of YAF, said he thought the four-day conference was successful.

“The conservative movement and the Republican Party in general has kind of taken a hit this past election cycle, in the congressional and presidential races,” said Korson, a junior. “It’s great to see so many young conservatives. There was a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of great ideas.”