Adams Morgan councilman targets pizza venues like Jumbo Slice

Update: Graham clarified his remarks to the City Paper, saying he told the WJLA-TV reporter he wants to revoke licenses of ill-behaving pizzerias that contribute to crime but is not interested in banning single-sale pizza slices.

Original Post: D.C. Councilman Jim Graham, Ward 1, announced he wants to crack down on single-sale pizza venues in his ward, which includes Adams Morgan, with the hopes of reducing neighborhood crime, according to local media reports.

The councilman said last week that single-sale pizza venues, such as Jumbo Slice, contribute to violence in Adams Morgan, including “street fights, stabbings, muggings and even a shootout involving two plainclothes police officers.” Jumbo Slice is open until 4 a.m.

Graham said he has spoken with D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty about the proposal and is currently drafting legislation.

“Even though it’s a legal business and everything, they have become a nuisance,” Graham told ABC 7. “Behaving the way they do in terms of music, in terms of letting people hang out and also in terms of tolerating a certain level of violence.”

The DCist playfully mocked the proposal, hinting that there were other influences contributing to the late-night fights.

There’s no telling how many Jumbo Slices they downed that evening. Maybe those girls shot some Jumbo Slice on U Street before they even arrived at Adams Morgan. And who can even count the Jumbo Slices they threw back at home before they even left for the bars? With all that slice running through their veins, it’s a marvel no one was more seriously hurt.

In October, single sales of beer and liquor were banned in two city wards, including Foggy Bottom’s Ward 2.