D.C. voting rights bill moves forward

This post was written by Hatchet Staff Writer Hadley Malcolm.

District residents are one step closer to gaining voting representation in Congress after the United States Senate voted Tuesday to put a cap on debate for legislation that would give D.C. a seat in the House of Representatives.

In a 62-34 decision, the senators agreed to consider the bill and are expected to make a final vote in the coming days or next week. Officials of D.C. Vote, a group dedicated to securing full voting representation in Congress for the District, said in a press release they are thrilled with the Senate’s decision and called the move a victory for their cause and for securing complete democracy for D.C. residents.

Opponents of the legislation, however, argue that the bill is unconstitutional. Some Republicans have pointed  to Constitution’s requirement that House representatives be chosen by “the people of the several states,” and noted that the District is not a state. 

However, the measure already has substantial support from the House — who will most likely clear it again after having already passed it in 2007 — and has more supporters in the Senate than in recent years.  The bill is also expected to gain President Barack Obama’s signature if both the Senate and House endorse the measure. The former Illinois senator co-sponsored the bill during his tenure.