Two people arrested for assaulting UPD officers

Two people were arrested in the Marvin Center last Saturday for assaulting multiple University Police Department officers, according to a police report.

Keyon Wade, 18, and Deandre Sidney Baker, 20, were arrested by UPD  and taken to the Metropolitan Police Department 2nd District headquarters for processing shortly after 1 a.m., according to the report. Both individuals were unaffiliated with the University, UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said in an e-mail.

Several UPD officers responded to word of a fight in one of the Marvin Center’s ballrooms and saw Baker “lunging toward an unnamed individual,” the report states. When officers tried to remove him from the building, Baker resisted and hit officers in the chest and cheek, according to the report.

Wade then hit an officer in the face, causing bruising, the report states. Three separate officers were struck and one was taken to GW Hospital, according to the report.

Both GW Ballroom and the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. were holding events in the in the Marvin Center’s ballrooms that evening, according to a representative at the Marvin Center concierge desk. Neither group responded immediately to request for comment.

Stafford said UPD is pressing charges and that Wade and Baker were in the building attending an event but did not say which one. The Hatchet has not been able to obtain contact information for either individual.