Student Association holds summit in response to recent leadership crisis

Following the resignation of Student Association President Vishal Aswani’s spokesperson last Friday, Executive Vice President Kyle Boyer called for a “leadership summit” Tuesday night to discuss ways to move forward and become more successful next semester.

While the press was not invited to attend the event, in the agenda obtained by The Hatchet, the body discussed what they felt was not successful during the first semester, what they wanted to accomplish in the second semester, and how the body can accomplish these goals together.

Boyer, said the event was successful, allowing members of the organization to assess problems in the organization and come together to solve them.

“It could have easily been a leadership building activity in another organization,” said Boyer, a junior.

He added, “We described adjectives which we felt would make the ideal SA, words like collaboration, honesty, modesty, stuff like that. And, we discussed a little bit of how to get to the ideal SA. There definitely were some differing opinions, but there definitely was a lot of consensus.”

Josh Lasky, former EVP in 2006, moderated the discussion.

“We felt that Josh Lasky was a neutral, respected and very educated individual, especially with regards to the Student Association,” Boyer said. “My personal feeling was that he was a great choice because he was well informed.”

SA Sen. Nick Polk (U-at-Large) said he was expecting members of the SA to air their personal grievances during the summit, however he was surprised by the outcome of the discussion.

“Josh did a great job of redirecting the focus from blame to improvement,” said Polk, a sophomore and chair of the rules committee.

However SA Sen. Logan Dobson (CCAS-U) said he did not feel the summit accomplished any tangible results.

“It was utterly useless but I guess it made people feel good about themselves,” said Dobson, a sophomore.

“Let them think we were doing something about our problems without having to, you know, do anything.”

Despite comments like Dobson’s, Boyer said the event was successful.

“We did come together, we are working together, and that can never be a bad thing,” Boyer said. “People can spin it as what it will, but when people come together, people leave with a greater understanding and that’s always a good thing.”