Author to headline Islamo-Facism Awareness Week

Nonie Darwish, author of Now they Call Me Infidel: Why I renounced Jihad for America, Israel and the War on Terror, will speak at the Jack Morton Auditorium on October 16 as part of the Young America’s Foundation’s Islamo-Facism Awareness Week.

The Egyptian-born Darwish has called for Muslims to renounce radical teachings and support a peaceful solution with Israel and America. Her next book, Cruel and Usual Punishment: The Terrifying Global Effects of Sharia Law, will be released in November. GW YAF President Rob Lockwood said he expects Darwish will discuss her childhood in Egypt and own personal journey.

Following the controversy that marked last year’s Islamo-Facism Awareness Week, Lockwood expressed hope that his organization can unite, rather than divide, the campus . In addition to Darwish’s appearance, YAF will also screen a film that profiles the lives of Muslims in America who have rejected radical Islam.

“What I’m trying to do is to remind people that America is at war with a very small sect of people who claim to speak for Allah,” he said.

He added that the film is “More of a tolerance or awareness video, and should not be controversial.”

Lockwood said he has contacted leaders of the Jewish Student Association, the Muslim Student Association, and other political and religious groups on campus with the hope of including them in the week’s proceedings.

“If we all work together on this, the message we would get would be so much better than people just trying to call each other names,” he said. “I think that if everyone is gung-ho about protecting America, they should be on-board.”