Nicholas Anastácio: Off the charts

Lily Speredelozzi | Senior Staff Photographer

My newspapers were in Portuguese or pinned on pavements by pickups.

Journalism was relative to my family, marked by a rotating marathon of multilingual television broadcasts and a collection of newspaper clippings over cups of café. However, journalism was a form of entertainment, measured in the distance between those who produced it and those who actually consumed it.

The GW Hatchet was the first time I actually saw journalism in action, even if it was from the floor of a cabana or a wooden chair in a basement for the first year. Zoom meetings replaced close-knit gatherings in the newsroom and phone calls replaced in-person interviews on GW’s campus. And yet, it was enough. 

In hindsight, I hadn’t written as much as I would’ve liked, attempting to balance my coursework while recognizing my limitations in fully delivering to the paper. Instead, I was more in awe of what The Hatchet was, staying way past midnight to see the next issue of the paper published and the next set of stories updated on the website.

When it came time to decide the next staff for Volume 118, I was reluctant to make a plunge, doubting there would be a place for me on the paper. However, an unfilled cell on a spreadsheet for March 26, 2021 at 12:30 p.m. and an opening for a mysteriously-named “graphics editor” role became a glorious cannonball in my life.

Graphics, a concoction of data visualizations, illustrations and the occasional advertisement, were my lifeblood on The Hatchet. The hundreds of graphics I’ve created in my time are nearly inescapable to me, decorating newspaper pages, digital articles, social media posts and banners, business cards, fliers and even Faculty Senate presentation slides. With every request came a conquest a desire to do better than the last.

I’m proud of what I was able to generate in that time, recalling just how much I was able to learn and improve in such a short period. On the other hand, the compliments I received over my “incredible tenure” as graphics editor never fully made sense to me.

Much like a graphic, I support the work around me. I’m there to bolster, to support, to uplift. It’s why I was willing to step away from the role for Volume 120, taking on the position of community relations director.

My main goal, both this year and in years prior, has always been to care for those around me. Whether it was an insanely thrown together Thanksgiving dinner, an overambitious decorating during Christmastime or giving our townhouse a little inflatable mascot of its own, I wanted to spread as much positivity as I could among staff before I left. It also gave me immense joy to win the GW Crown on behalf of The Hatchet this year, proving to the GW community that we are indeed a student organization and certainly one not to be messed with, one Kermit the Frog impression at a time.

Above all else, The Hatchet has been there for me. The townhouse became a second home, giving me comfort in its winding rooms and providing me relaxing refuge in between classes and meetings. Late night prodos provided me with community, always pulling me back into the basement on Sunday nights even when I had no obligation to be there. And when it came time for me to be open about my story, the paper gave me the space to tell it on my own terms, a level of care and empathy not found in most newsrooms. Altogether, the newspaper came to define my experience at GW, providing me with countless opportunities and innumerable anecdotes to come back to every now and again.

This is my fourth and final year on The Hatchet. To say that I’ve made memories on this paper would certainly be a gross understatement. My investments at this paper, both timewise and monetarily, are immeasurable but wholeheartedly worth it. No matter where I find my footing from here on out, I will always cherish closely the lessons I’ve learned and the people I’ve met during my first and only time on a student newspaper.

My newspapers were in Portuguese or pinned on pavements by pickups. Now, my newspapers are me, memorializing my memories, my graphics and my friends. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Some sentimentally strewn together shoutouts: 

Lia DeGroot: From being my first news editor on the formerly named “health and sciences” beat, taking my very first pitch, to hiring me as graphics editor when you became editor-in-chief, my experience at The Hatchet will always be guided by the indelible impact you had on me. Whether it was a late night Zoom meeting from my basement floor or a severely late night prodo in the basement of the townhouse, you always were a guiding force pushing me to be ambitious and strive for more than I could’ve ever imagined. Even when spirits were severely lacking during that remote first year, I always made time to come to our weekly section meetings knowing that I would find a community later down the line. Every edit, every suggestion, every sliver of appreciation from you built me up to the person I am today and I can never be appreciative enough. And while you may have almost poisoned me during a Thanksgiving party on Nov. 20, 2021 with your “loaf,” I am forever grateful that you took that chance on me three years ago and gave me the space to grow and be included in this environment. As you said to me, I hope to see you again soon!

Sidney Lee: A predecessor, a pacesetter, a pioneer. Graphics was how we first met, coalescing in a grouped bar chart in my first Hatchet story. From there, I accepted this singular sensation of a section that you passed down to me, carefully grasping the torch that would only burn brighter over time. Contrary to popular belief, I had no experience in Adobe Illustrator when I was hired for the position but all that I’ve learned in these past three years is all because of you. In every graphic I’ve ever created, there was never a time that I didn’t refer to the colorful machinations that you created or the scrupulous style guide you gifted me. I knew nothing and, yet, you gave me everything. It gives me the utmost pleasure to let you know that I too handed down my section, passing along the knowledge you gave me, letting that torch grow brighter and bigger with every Illustrator file. I’m so happy to see all that you’ve accomplished since The Hatchet and I’ll definitely need some home decor advice from you really soon!

Grace Miller: It began with a hiring interview and ended with a friendship formed anew. I recognize in hindsight that I was your only applicant for the graphics editor position but deciding to take a chance on me defined my time at GW and will continue with me for years to come. Whether it was inserting a graphic on InDesign, strategizing the layout of a special guide page or just walking home together to AmDam after a late prodo, design became an unbreakable bond, rigorously remaining with both of us even as we rose to management this volume. Whether you were design editor or managing director, you handled everything you did with, no pun intended, grace. From outstandingly organizing this volume’s fall conference to perennially preparing salty and savory snacks to members on staff to prioritizing the importance of mental health on staff, you showed the unfettered care you have for everyone around you and why you are a shining star on The Hatchet’s history. And though I incessantly joked about how I couldn’t read for my own life, your passion for literature inside and outside of the paper helped spark an interest in nonfiction in me. I also can’t depart The Hatchet without attributing my unnecessarily late nights at the townhouse to you, beginning with a PowerPoint presentation on Sept. 19, 2021 and ending with a well-deserved readthrough in 2024. You gave me community and, for that, I wish the very best for you with every measure possible. Keep shining bright!

Isabella MacKinnon: I mistakenly thought you were gonna be my competition during the design hiring process our first year at GW, initially believing that you were pinning for an ever competitive graphics editor position not the case given your eventual placement as contributing design editor. Instead, we became a part of an unmatched and unstoppable design team that directed the design of the paper for nearly three years. Even on your accomplished way out the door, you guided a necessary redesign of the paper and helped influence a multitude of future design editors for years to come, especially after a post-pandemic drought. Although, what will always be memorable is the unmistakable kindness and joy you brought to the paper and the undoubted consideration you gave to everyone you worked and interacted with. Your extensive assortment of talents, your careful attention to detail and the lightheartedness you share with everyone around you will carry you immensely far and I can’t wait to see how high you go!

An Ngo: For a successor, you really put the “success” in the word. I still recall last year when you intricately illustrated an insane graphic on go-to Halloween costumes for students, foreshadowing your titular talent for years to come. You were in the same position as me, the lone applicant thrust into this whirlwind of a position. On the other hand, this position somehow brings about the best in those who take a chance on it and you’ve certainly earned every element of praise that comes your way. You’ve even figured out things I couldn’t even decipher like incorporating HTML and interactive elements into the paper’s coverage. Whenever anyone asks me, “Do you miss graphics?” I reply with “no,” citing you as my ultimate reason. Nothing gives me greater joy than seeing you be better than me and you still years to be even greater. I know that you’re gonna do great things and I’ll be on the sidelines, cheering you along as you win your awards.

Ethan Benn: Never have I met someone with so much diction, deliberateness and delight all wrapped into one. I’ve seen you over the years manage the opinions section with such care, dignity and respect, recognizing the importance for public dialogue and discussion. You fully understood your role as opinions editor and you pursued it to the greatest degree possible, recognizing the benefits and challenges that came with it in an admirable manner. Not only that, you deeply cared about those around you, displaying a level of empathy that cannot be measured or fully explained in words. Our conversations together, whether supplemented by a serious disposition or a carefree laughter, will always be memorable, reflecting your thought-provoking perspective on the world and those that inhibit it with you. I will also assuredly never forget your email to staff last year, setting up a Hatchet Dungeons & Dragons conquest, displaying your infinite creativity and your knack for storytelling, something I hope to see and hear more from you in the future. My block neighbor, my co-worker and my good friend, I can’t wait to see where the road leads for you, even if it requires a midnight train to Georgia!

Jaden DiMauro: I’m going to start this off by saying New Jersey is better than Connecticut. I’m going to follow that by saying thank you. As copy editor, you were tasked with looking over my graphics to make sure they adhered to The Hatchet’s style, a style you knew like the back of your hand. Your immense knowledge of news writing style and the improvements you’ve made to the paper’s writing should not go overlooked and I’m so happy to see how far you’ve come from that back corner of the basement. I’ve always been proud of your growth on the paper and the multitude of titles you’ve taken on shows just how much you deeply care about this paper. I also have you to thank for being in management this year. In many ways it was unexpected but it touched me to see how much you believed in me and wanted to give me greater space in this paper. I hope that I did you good. Regardless of title, you were truly a leader on this paper and I hope to see more from you in the years to come.

Nick Pasion: It started with a “Hi Nick” from you and a reciprocated “Hi Nick” from me on the steps of the townhouse. Your trajectory from research assistant to managing editor on The Hatchet has certainly been a sight to see and it showcases just how talented of a journalist you are. I always reminisce on our time in data science classes sophomore year, seeing just how much you cared about producing hard-hitting journalism that mattered to people. You also were so encouraging to my interest in data journalism, maximizing graphics opportunities for me and pushing me to be more ambitious with my craft. Most important of all, you recognize the craft of journalism and its ability to inform and illuminate the truth to the public, something that has led you to the position you’re in today. I am so glad to have met you and I’m sure I’ll see a Pulitzer Prize or two out of you at some point. You’re the “GOAT,” you’ve “got that dog in you,” you always “suit up,” and you’re always “cooking.” From a Nicholas to a Nick, continue doing your thing. It’ll take you far!

Zach Blackburn: Seeing you go from a low-quality box in a Zoom meeting to the helm of editor-in-chief this volume is surreal yet unsurprising. You’ve produced some of the most interesting and thought-provoking coverage this paper has seen in recent memory and you’ve navigated the paper through one of the most unpredictable and chaotic periods in The Hatchet’s history, an accomplishment that should never go unacknowledged. Even as I’m writing this paragraph, you’re still working in your office, encapsulating your service to the public in the journalism you produce. I also have to thank you for the time you gave me this year to recover, something that often went unsaid but never went unnoticed. Congratulations to you on a remarkable Volume 120 and may you continue to take the journalism world by storm, one Coca-Cola at a time!

Auden Yurman: Since the moment we first met in the basement, I knew how hilarious and refreshingly energetic you were going to be. Since taking the helm of photo editor, let alone senior photo editor, you’ve overseen an immense renaissance in the photojournalistic work this paper produces and will continue to produce far beyond your impressive tenure. I still remember your work around the Supreme Court steps following the leak of the Dobbs decision. I knew from then just how talented you were and how far that talent can go. You deeply care about your work and even after your tenure, you still continue to help those that come after you. After many TIFF conversions and countlessly crafted crossword puzzles, I am so grateful to have met you and seen you in everything you do. And just know, if you’re ever interested in a career in photojournalism, I believe in you.

Sejal Govindarao: Funny enough, my first actual task on The Hatchet was transcribing one of your interviews, costing me more than two hours of my night. Although, you’ve had plenty of more interviews since then like the countless number of members of Congress you’ve covered over the past years. You’re an immensely accomplished and talented journalist and you’ve truly paved an impressive path for yourself in this industry that should be rewarded and heralded. Not only that, your ambition and dedication demonstrates your ability to find the next scoop. No matter how many times you might doubt your abilities, you deserve to be where you are. In addition, you’re a deeply caring person, always willing to take the time to check-in or have a little pickleball match. Keep reaching for the stars! You’ll shine brighter than them!

Jenna Baer: We’ve had more classes together than interactions since we’ve been on the paper together but it feels like I’ve known you for forever. Your wit, your creativity and your desire to make everyone laugh around you is tantamount to who you are and how much you’ve livened up this paper in just one year. Not only that, but I’ve always been in awe of your cartoons throughout the issues, especially when it saved me from having to do them. On top of all of that, you’re just an all around happy and jolly person, a quality that every serious newsroom requires and an essential quality for the culture section. I’ll definitely be tuned in to your next article or comedy show and I’ll definitely remember you when I finally go to Texas.

Nick Perkins: With so many Nicks on this paper, how can I keep track of them all. Oh wait, you’re the funniest one. Seeing you take on the culture section and your desire to capture happiness and nostalgia across campus has been a blessing to behold. On top of that, you’re knack for extremely niche political knowledge allows me to feel seen on this paper and I’ll definitely come to you whenever I’m in the mood for an in-depth discussion on historical electoral politics. You’ve been able to produce a variety of pieces for The Hatchet since being the culture editor that speaks to the broad range of emotions on campus. I hope you can continue to produce more amazing work and continue to bring smiles to all of the faces around you!

Ethan Valliath: I still remember seeing your name in the design interest form my first year as graphics editor, sharing how you wanted to do design and podcast for The Hatchet. As history recalls, podcast got you first. However, in some ways, you were always apart of the design section. Since taking on the role of social media director, you have drastically transformed The Hatchet’s reach on social media, creating a style and a brand that will be referred to for years to come. You took your role and you made it your own. Without joke, graphic design is your passion. The collection of creations you’ve constructed across campus are not only impressive but they show just how much you care to help those around you, no matter how much you to take on. Although, what still strikes me the most is how much you always cared about my graphics, even when we had never had a conversation. It meant a great deal to me to hear your words and signs of encouragement over the years, motivating me to continue pursuing graphics even when I felt that I wasn’t good enough to pursue them. It’s only fair that I return the favor. No matter where you end up, whether it’s overseeing a brand’s social media design or managing a magazine yourself, your talent will continue to show and I’ll make sure to snag a copy when it hits the stands. Stay in touch!

Nikki Ghaemi: There is no one more deserving and prepared to take on the role of community relations director than you. You truly care about this work, evidenced by your unwavering interest in this position, and I know that you’ll be an essential asset on management and will contribute greatly to The Hatchet’s approach to news coverage going forward. Continue to advocate for what you believe in and what is right and never be afraid to disrupt. I will continue to be here for you and support you wherever you go, both within and outside of The Hatchet. Good luck!

Maura Kelly-Yuoh: I still remember when you interviewed for the contributing design editor at the end of sophomore year. On the other hand, I had recommended another person for the position. I’m fully glad that I was wrong. Your knack for design, whether for The Cherry Tree or The Hatchet, showed your unchallengeable creativity. Whether it was your cartoons in the opinions section, the graphics requests you helped out with when assignments piled up or the merchandise I was gifted during Christmas, your impact on the paper reverberates throughout. Apart from that, I will always remember your love of cinema and our impromptu Hatchet Oscar night of which we were the only members in attendance. Though you will assuredly have a successful career in public health research, I do hope you can always tap into your design potential whenever you get the chance.

Ishani Chettri: Both from New Jersey but not from the same. I will always look back on our first interaction in an opinions meeting on Zoom where my hottest take was that the “New Jersey accent” is just an Italian-American accent and you direct messaged me immediately afterwards to “lol” and agree. You wore a multitude of hats during your time at The Hatchet, broadening your skills and showing your versatility in general. Whether it was editing my blogs or asking for a graphic to include on your coded homepages, there was always an opportunity to collaborate with you. I also have to commend your broad knowledge of international affairs and your clear passion and interest in geopolitics since I first met you. No matter if you’re working for a firm or reporting from the other side on the globe, your knowledge and talent will assuredly take you far without question.

Nuria Diaz Muñoz: When I think of a sports editor, I will forever always think about you. The way in which you were able to manage an entire section virtually to yourself while still maintaining your coursework is not only commendable but shows just how much you deserve to be where you are today. It should also not be discounted how much you have advocated for the representation of women in sports journalism at every step of the way, both in the U.S. and abroad, and fought every step of the way for the stories that you cared about deeply. I will also always be gracious for the help and time you gave to me during our time at The Hatchet, whether it was working on graphics together for Basketball Guide or taking the time out of your day to help me with getting an internship. Whether it’s investigative journalism or sports journalism or both, you’re going to continue to do great things.

Grace Chinowsky: Congratulations on being Volume 121’s editor-in-chief! All of the work you’ve put in these past couple of years has paid and now it’s your time to lead the paper into the future, learning from the past to forge a future. You deeply care about this paper and it shows in everything you put into it. I hope you can always take time to encourage yourself for how far you’ve come and all the great things you’ll be able to achieve from here on out. I wish you the best of luck and can’t wait to pick up the next copy when it hits newsstands!

Faith Wardwell: My partner-in-crime at CNN this semester, I am so proud of all that you’ve achieved. Your passion for journalism is reflected in everything that you do and it brings me so much enjoyment to see you lay out your vision for the future. You are going to do great things for Volume 121 and I can’t wait to see where your path in journalism ends up. No matter if it’s in broadcast or in print, you’re going to be one hell of a journalist and the world will be better off for it.

Erika Filter: I’ve always been in awe of your drive and the ambition with which you approach your articles. Graphics requests from you were always a delight to take on and showed just how imaginative you were when it came to telling your stories. Your openness to collaboration and the trust with which you put in me to deliver for your articles show your care for the craft and why you are undoubtedly destined for greatness from here on out. You’re an immensely talented journalist and the articles you craft from here on out will continue to take the journalistic world by storm.

Rachel Moon and Fiona Riley: Both of you are going to be amazing senior news editors for Volume 121! For Rachel, thank you so much for helping me with the tabling in Kogan Plaza, even if it meant having to put a silly newspaper hat on to get people to stop on by. Your positive and infectious humor is definitely needed on the paper and I continue to chuckle every time your realism comes into fray. For Fiona, your hilarious comments and can-do attitude have always managed to brighten my day. You’re both going to do great things!

Hannah Marr: You’re coverage of the Student Government Association elections this past semester was both impressive and emblematic of the talented reporter you are. You truly did an amazing job and you should continue to pat yourself on the back for how much you were able to achieve. Although not every story or step along the way was ideal, you handled it with grace and continued forward to produce a great elections guide. Wherever you go, you will continue to demonstrate those same reporting capabilities while spreading happiness to others.

Rory Quealy: I will always have a soft spot for the health and research beat and I’ve loved seeing your articles this past volume. In addition, you always had such a positive disposition throughout the newsroom and provided some much needed optimism whenever times became rough or stressful. I can’t wait to see all of the coverage you do for metro and definitely reach out if you ever needed help or ideas for 2024 elections guide.

Jennifer Igbonoba: Your measured perspective on The Hatchet and what it has the potential to be is so necessary and I’m always enlightened to have in-depth conversations with you about the importance of inclusive and ethical journalism. You have done an amazing job in your student life reporting and I can’t wait to see all of the reporting you will continue to do. The joy you bring to everyone on staff, as well as your deep care for the craft of journalism, will continue to shine like a star.

Brooke Forgette and Fiona Bork: Two student life editors with infectious humor and a remarkable dedication for their reporting. For Brooke, your obvious talent for comedy and your empathetic disposition have been refreshing this volume. It’s also exciting for me to see you balance The Hatchet and GW-TV this past year, something I wasn’t able to do. For Fiona, I knew I was always going to have an interesting conversation with you whenever I walked into the newsroom, finding some way to laugh about the past day or week to subside the amount of work that needed to be done. Both of you in your new roles are definitely going to make waves and I wish both of you the best.

Riley Goodfellow: I will always admire the way in which you stood for what you believed in with every opinions piece you published. Even when sacrifices had to be made, you sought to center your beliefs and morals in everything you did. I still every now and again go through your pieces, seeing the way in which you sought to change the conversation whenever possible. I had said it to you before but your writing certainly had an impact on my own writing and I’m sure others, both on- and off-campus, can certainly say the same. Good luck on everything!

Cristina Stassis: As much as we’ve had our differences in the basement of the townhouse, some that might involve a golden hatchet and an argument over whether Massachusetts is better than New Jersey, I am so excited to see you take on the role of managing director. Your care for this paper and its maintenance signals why you are the best person for the position. You are certainly going to bring your professionalism and passion for the paper with you wherever you go and I’m definitely staying tuned to see all of your hard work pay off next year. Good luck on fall conference!

Ianne Salvosa: My building neighbor and elevator reporter, I am so proud of all that you’ve achieved in your time on the paper. On top of performing amazing routines with The First Ladies, you truly understand this community and deserve the best that journalism has to offer for you. I wish you the best of luck on all of your endeavors and can’t wait to root for you as you dominate the field with your exceptional reporting skills.

Luke Wienecke: Your infectious smile and laughter and your passion for sports reporting were always a sight to see whenever I got to see you in the basement. Our brief conversations with one another were always enjoyable and showed how much you sought to have a bright spot on someone’s day. The impact you had on me as well as everyone at The Hatchet and beyond is immeasurable and, whenever I get the chance, I always revisit your bylines, seeing the amazing talent and work that you’ve done.

Jarrod Wardwell: At every moment on The Hatchet, you gave me the necessary encouragement, even when I didn’t feel like I deserved it. You were open to every suggestion I proposed to you and sought to value my opinion whenever possible. It meant the world to me that you believed in me, no matter where I was on the paper. I look back thinking on whether I should have tried a different hat or if I should have tried something new. However, I’m grounded knowing that you would have probably been there to support me along the way. Although, I will still never understand for the life of me why you were afraid of me? Guess I’ll have to talk with you about it soon!

Isha Trivedi: In some of my most unsure moments on The Hatchet, you always gave me the reassurance I needed to continue forward. The positivity and direction you demonstrated gave me such comfort and allowed me to continue to see this paper as a home I could go to. Even in long walks from the townhouse back home in the middle of the night, you always gave me the encouragement I needed to strive for better and pursue my passion. I can assure you that I’ve tried to pass that down as much as possible before my time here is over. Thank you for just being an overall great editor and I hope we can chat soon!

Michelle Vassilev: I am so proud of all that you’ve accomplished at both The Hatchet and on The Hoya. While it was saddening to see you go, it brings me immense happiness to know that you found your place and that you carried your passion for journalism with you. I will always remember the countless times you asked me to write for health and sciences  and the late nights we sat on the “Honors” fifth floor of AmDam in front of the elevators to edit through stories. I also couldn’t forget the time when you asked me to sneak you into the townhouse just so you could surprise everyone during staff meeting. Though I always missed your presence on the paper from time to time, I always find comfort in the memories we made along the way.

Grace Hromin: Late nights in the basement on Sunday were always entertaining when you were there. Whether it was a late night TIFF conversion or a fruitless escapade to Adams Morgan, I will always remember your time on the paper and the conversations we had in the photo corner of the basement, from sophomore to senior. Much has changed since you’ve been away from the paper and I can’t wait to tell you all the fun things that have happened when we can both say we’re GW alums.

Lily Speredelozzi: Thank you for these amazing pictures and for also being extremely supportive ever since you joined The Hatchet. I’m so honored that you got to take my 30 photos and I can’t wait to see all of the photos you will continue to take!

Sarah Sachs: We mostly conversated at parties against counters and made occasional chatter towards the back of the basement during staff meetings. However, I can not leave The Hatchet without thank you immensely for giving me a gracious double set of two-liter Diet Coke bottles for my first Hatchet Christmas. It’s one of the best memories I can recall from being on the paper and allowed me to feel so seen during that first semester on staff. I can reassure you those Diet Cokes went to good use during finals.

My college roommates, Peter Dawson, Jonathan He and Cameron Hayes: Thank you for always picking up a copy from the downstairs lobby of AmDam and showcasing my graphics to the four people residing in our dorm, including myself. Also, much thanks for dealing with my late night returns from the townhouse and even for your willingness to be quoted in the paper’s articles! There’s nothing better than to have college roommates that support the work you do while encouraging you every step of the way.

Meu família: Even with the uneasiness of the profession, you always believed and respected my choices and I wouldn’t be in the position that I’m in today without your sacrifices and the love you constantly show to me from a distance. I know how hard it’s been to be away from you for long periods of time but I want to let you know that I haven’t forgotten where I’ve come from and I don’t plan on staying silent about it anytime soon. Pela família!

To those I didn’t get to mention: I want you to know that your impact on my life, as well as the lives of those around you, is both acknowledged and valued. There is so much to say and, yet, never enough time, space or words to say it. Just know that your presence in my life and on this paper is immeasurable and I wish the utmost best for you. And good luck to Volume 121!

-30-